Next week is Autism Awareness Week 2018 and Autism Berkshire will be out and about across the county to improve understanding and acceptance of autism among the public.
We made an early start with an information stand at The Oracle Centre in Reading yesterday, pictured above, but there is plenty more to come over the next few days.
Our programme of activities is as follows:
Sunday. March 25: Walk for Autistic Adults, with the Autism Berkshire 197 Club adult social group. Meet outside Starbucks at The Oracle Centre in Reading at 11am, then walking alongside the River Kennet to the Cunning Man pub at Burghfield for lunch.
Monday, March 26:
- Autism Berkshire and Reading Buses autism awareness event and fundraising collection in Broad Street, Reading, from 11am to 4pm. We will be in the area outside Marks & Spencer and The Oracle’s Broad Street entrance. NB: We still need more volunteers to hold collection buckets for us during this event. Even if you can only spare an hour or two, your help would be appreciated. Please let us know if you can help by calling 01189 594 594 or emailing email@example.com today (Friday, March 23) or just turn up on Monday when you can.
- Pre-assessment Workshop for parents and carers living in the Borough of Wokingham who have children on the Berkshire CAMHS waiting list for an autism assessment. 10.30am to 12.30pm at St Paul’s Church, Reading Road, Wokingham. Click here for more details and to book free places.
- Slough Evening Parent and Carer Support Group. 7pm to 9pm in the Community Room at Slough Tesco Extra, in Wellington Street,
Tuesday, March 27:
- Autism Berkshire will be at an information and awareness event at The Curve cultural hub in Slough town centre from 9.30am to 12.30pm, organised by Slough Borough Council’s autism practice lead, Geraldine Smith.
- Maidenhead Parent and Carer Support Group. 10am to noon at Larchfield Children’s Centre, in Bargeman Road, Maidenhead.
Wednesday, March 28:
- Drop-in autism advice session at the YES Shop, 61 Queensmere Observatory Centre, Slough. 10am to 2pm. Clare Johnson-Alem, our Slough programme manager, will be available to meet parents and carers to discuss autism-related matters. You can also make an appointment if you call us on 01189 594 594 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Autism Berkshire information stand at the Nicholson Centre in Maidenhead town centre during the morning.
Saturday, March 31: Slime-making workshop for autistic children run by Carly Jones at RISC in Reading. 10.30am to noon. Please note that this event is now sold out.
There are also two events in early April that will be of interest to our members, supporters and service users.
Friday, April 6: Reading Society of Model Engineers Easter school holiday event at Prospect Park Railway in Reading for children with special needs and their families. Train rides and light refreshments available from 1.30pm to 4pm and the Autism Berkshire information stand will also be there.
Sunday, April 15: Autism Berkshire Members’ Family Fun Day, Thames Valley Adventure Playground in Taplow, noon to 4pm. Members have been notified about how to book tickets for this event in our most recent newsletter.