Take a sneak peek behind the scenes at the Reading Buses’ depot Open Day on Sunday, July 1, and you will be helping to raise funds for Autism Berkshire as the company’s Charity of the Year.
Admission to the event, which will run from 11am to 4pm, is free of charge, with proceeds of sales of tickets for different activities during the event and things like face-painting or sales of cupcakes going to Autism Berkshire
There will also be the chance to see many of Reading buses’ current fleet, including the special Autism Berkshire bus, decorated to highlight our role as Charity of the Year, and take a look at some vintage buses too.
This year’s Open Day theme is Out of this World and the will be a fancy dress competition for children aged 11 and under (although everyone is welcome to dress up), with competitors invited to come up with outfits inspired by the this theme – we can’t wait to see what you come up with.
You will be able to:
- Go behind the scenes. Book for tours of the Control Room and the Engineering
- Workshop or have a tour of the new Tech Lab Innovation Centre
- Ride on a double-decker through the bus wash
- Take an open-top bus tour of Reading
- Visit the barbecue and enjoy curry, cakes, snacks and ice cream
- Try your luck at some games of skill – football shootout, coconut shy and other great games
- Get your name up in lights on the front of a bus
- There will also be tombolas, raffles and more.
As there is no car parking available at the depot, the easiest way to get to the event will be to catch the frequent shuttle bus, which will be running between town centre stops and the depot from 10.30am. Great Knollys Street is just off Caversham Road and is a short walk from Reading railway station and town centre car parks.
Click here to visit the Reading Buses’ website for more details of the event and which town centre bus stops will be served by the shuttle bus route.
- We are still looking for volunteers to help make the day a success and to raise as much money as possible. Whether you are an expert at facepainting, a dab hand at decorating cupcakes we can sell, or are able to sell tickets for trips through the double-decker bus wash and other activities, all offers of help, even if you can just spare an hour or two on the day, are welcome. Please let us know how you can help – email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office on 01189 594 594.