Free places can now be booked for more Autism Seminars for Families and Emotional Self-Regulation workshops to support parents and carers of children with a diagnosis of autism or who are on the Berkshire CAMHS waiting list for an autism assessment.
The seminars have been developed by specialists from the National Autistic Society, while the Emotional Self-Regulation workshops were developed by Autism Berkshire’s family support team.
Please note that these workshops are only open to parents and carers who live in Berkshire, or whose children attend schools in Berkshire. If you are a professional looking for training about autism, please contact our office.
As usual, we are offering three NAS Autism Seminars:
- Understanding Autism, suitable for parents and carers of children aged up to 11, looking at what autism is, the assessment process at Berkshire CAMHS, where to get help, and other conditions associated with autism
- Managing Anger, looking at distressed behaviour and meltdowns in children with autism, how to cope and how to help children to understand and communicate feelings
- Sensory Needs, looking at sensory systems and how they work, how autistic people may process sensory information differently and have different sensory experiences, and strategies to help with sensory needs.
The Emotional Self-Regulation workshops, which we are delighted to be able to offer to parents and carers in the west of Berkshire for the first time, look at issues around emotions and approaches that can help parents and carers to support their children, including using visual supports such as The Incredible 5 Point Scale and comic strip conversations.
The aim is to equip parents to help their children to understand social interactions and control their emotional responses to different situations and to manage anxiety when they become stressed.
Forthcoming workshops taking place from September until December this year are as follows. They all run from 10am to 2.30pm.
- Friday, September 13: Understanding Autism
- Friday, October 11: Meeting Sensory Needs
- Friday, November 8: Managing Anger
- Friday, November 22: Emotional Self-Regulation
- Thursday, October 10: Managing Anger
- Thursday, November 7: Understanding Autism
- Monday, December 2: Meeting Sensory Needs
- Wednesday, September 25: Understanding Autism
- Wednesday, October 23: Meeting Sensory Needs
- Wednesday, November 13: Managing Anger
- Wednesday, December 4: Emotional Self-Regulation
- Friday, September 20: Managing Anger
- Friday, November 29: Emotional Self-Regulation
- Wednesday, September 18: Meeting Sensory Needs
- Wednesday, October 16: Understanding Autism
- Wednesday, November 20: Meeting Sensory Needs
- Thursday, December 5: Managing Anger
Further workshops in Reading, Thatcham, Windsor and Wokingham will take place in early 2020.
Click here for more information about all these workshops for parents and carers and to register for free places.
If you have any questions or difficulty booking online, please call the Autism Berkshire office on 01189 594 594 or email email@example.com.
- These workshops are funded by the East Berkshire and Berkshire West NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups.