Autism Berkshire and Parenting Special Children offer a range of free support and advice to parents and carers and children and young people who live in Reading, Wokingham and West Berkshire, through the Berkshire West Autism & ADHD Support Service, funded by the Berkshire West NHS Clinical Commissioning Group.
The services are suitable for parents and carers whose children already have an autism or ADHD diagnosis or are on the waiting list for a Berkshire CAMHS assessment or for children and young people pre- and post-assessment.
- Please note that NHS funding rules mean we cannot offer places at these workshops and courses to families living in the Bracknell Forest, Slough and Windsor & Maidenhead areas unless they are registered with a GP surgery that is part of the Berkshire West NHS CCG. For information about Autism and ADHD support in these three council areas, call the Autism Berkshire Helpline on 01189 594 594 (option 1) or email email@example.com or see your local council’s Local Offer website.
The workshops and courses that are being delivered for the Berkshire West Autism & ADHD Support Service by Parenting Special Children – which are provided online during the coronavirus pandemic – are as follows (Please note that the first three ADHD workshops are delivered as a linked series, not as individual sessions):
An Introduction to ADHD
This workshop for parents and carers discusses: What is ADHD?, the challenges and concerns and the strengths and opportunities associated with ADHD, and signposting to management strategies.
Anxiety & ADHD
This workshop for parents and carers looks at: What is Anxiety?, why it makes sense to be anxious if you have ADHD, strategies to help support you and your child, plus signposting to other support that is available.
Behaviour & ADHD
This workshop for parents and carers looks at attention challenges, hyperactive behaviours and impulsive behaviours and shares behaviour management strategies to help you and your child.
Forthcoming series of ADHD workshops:
- Thursdays September 16, 23 and 30, 7pm to 8.30pm. Click here to register online.
- Thursdays October 14, 21 and 28, 7pm to 8.30pm. Click here to register online.
- Thursdays November 11, 18 and 25, 7pm to 8.30pm. Click here to register online.
Sleep Difficulties – for Autism and ADHD
This workshop for parents and carers covers children’s sleep cycles and sleep needs, the reasons behind night settling and night waking, strategies to help parents and carers feel less stressed when sleep training a child, and parenting strategies for settling your child to sleep and staying asleep.
Forthcoming Sleep Difficulties workshops:
- Friday, October 22, noon to 2pm. Click here to register.
Transition to Adulthood – for Autism and ADHD
The aim of this workshop is to help parents and carers to navigate the transition to adulthood and to support their young people with knowledge, skills and confidence.
Forthcoming Transition to Adulthood workshops:
- To be advised.
Social interaction skills groups for children and young people
A six-week course, in small groups, for children and young people aged 8 to 16 who are in mainstream education, and already have an autism or ADHD diagnosis or are on the Berkshire CAMHS waiting list for an assessment.
The course aims to develop the confidence and emotional wellbeing of children and young people through meeting their peers and exploring the social world in a friendly and supportive setting. It looks at topics including knowing ourselves, developing and maintaining friendships, self-esteem, independence and self-advocacy.
Junior Group: Ages 8 to 11 (up to school Year 6). A six-week face-to-face course on Mondays after school from 4.30pm to 6.30pm, from September 13 to October 18. The deadline to apply for places is Sunday, August 22. Click here to request places on this course.
Senior Group: Ages 11 to 16 (school Years 7 to 11). A six-week face-to-face course on Mondays after school from 4.30pm to 6.30pm, from November 1 to December 6. Click here to request places on this course.
Workshops about Emotional Regulation and Food Refusal, developed by Autism Berkshire, are open to parents and carers living in Reading, Wokingham and West Berkshire whose children have a diagnosis of autism or ADHD or are on the Berkshire CAMHS waiting list for an assessment. Click here for details.
- For more information about any of these workshops and courses and to request free places, complete the online contact form, call 01189 594 594 (option 1) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
These workshops and courses are funded by the Berkshire West NHS Clinical Commissioning Group and are available free of charge, along with other help available from the Berkshire West Autism & ADHD Support Service.